Nine Killed, Several Injured in Car Blast Near Red Fort; Amit Shah Orders Probe into All Angles
A devastating explosion near Delhi’s Red Fort on Monday evening left at least nine people dead and many others injured, sparking panic in one of the city’s busiest heritage zones. The blast occurred inside a moving car outside Gate No. 1 of the Red Fort Metro Station around 6:52 pm, setting off a massive fire that engulfed several nearby vehicles.
While the exact cause of the explosion is yet to be confirmed, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said that investigative agencies were examining “all angles” and not ruling out any possibility, including a terror link. Teams from the Delhi Police, National Security Guard (NSG), National Investigation Agency (NIA), and Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) were deployed to the site within minutes of the incident.
The Blast and Its Immediate Impact
According to Delhi Police Commissioner Satish Golcha, a Hyundai i20 car moving slowly along the Subhash Marg traffic signal near the Red Fort suddenly exploded, affecting surrounding vehicles. Witnesses described hearing a deafening sound followed by a burst of flames. Within moments, six cars, four motorcycles, and three e-rickshaws caught fire, spreading chaos in the area. “The explosion was so strong that car parts were flung nearly 200 metres away, and a police post 100 metres from the site was badly damaged,” an officer said.
Videos circulating on social media showed flames stretching across the road, charred vehicles, and locals rushing to pull victims out of burning wrecks. Bystanders and shopkeepers from the nearby Sis Ganj Gurdwara area reported that the blast shattered windows and caused buildings to shake violently. “It felt like an earthquake,” said Sanjay Bhargava, president of the Chandni Chowk Sarv Vyapar Mandal. “The shockwaves could be felt almost a kilometre away, and there were bodies lying on the road. It was horrifying.”
The Vehicle and Initial Findings
The vehicle involved was traced to a Gurgaon resident, who reportedly told police that he had sold it recently. Investigators discovered that the car had changed hands several times, with its last known owner being a resident of Pulwama in Jammu and Kashmir. A preliminary probe suggested that the car had been parked near the Red Fort area for more than three hours before it was driven toward the signal where it exploded.
However, early observations raised questions about the nature of the explosion. Police sources said there were no craters at the site and no splinter wounds on the injured, suggesting the blast may not have been caused by a conventional explosive device. “The victims have burn injuries and mangled limbs, but there are no shrapnel marks,” a senior police officer stated.
Response and Investigation
Within ten minutes of the incident, multiple agencies—including the Delhi Crime Branch, Special Branch, and NSG bomb squads—reached the spot. Firefighters from the Delhi Fire Service responded quickly after receiving a call at 6:55 pm. Seven fire tenders were dispatched, and the flames were brought under control by 7:36 pm. A high alert was issued across Delhi and other major cities as authorities sought to prevent any further incidents.
Home Minister Amit Shah visited the blast site later in the night and briefed the media. “It is too early to confirm the nature of the explosion. We have directed all agencies to investigate every possible angle. Forensic teams and NSG experts are analysing the materials collected from the site,” he said. Shah added that he had spoken to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who had expressed condolences and reviewed the situation. In a post on X (formerly Twitter), the Prime Minister wrote:
“Condolences to those who lost their loved ones in the blast in Delhi. May the injured recover at the earliest. Authorities are assisting those affected.”
Shah further stated that he would hold a high-level meeting on Tuesday with top officials from central and state agencies to discuss the findings and next steps. “No possibility is being ruled out, and a thorough investigation is underway,” he emphasized.
Chaos in the Old City
The explosion caused panic in the densely populated Chandni Chowk area. Shops were hurriedly shut, and hundreds of shoppers tried to flee the area amid confusion and smoke. Traffic around Delhi Gate, Kashmere Gate, and Jama Masjid came to a standstill as police cordoned off the area. Eyewitnesses reported long queues at parking lots as people tried to leave in a rush.
The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) temporarily restricted entry and exit at Lal Qila Metro Station’s Gates 1 and 4 as a precaution, though metro services across the network continued as normal. “Passenger safety remains our top priority,” DMRC said in a statement.
A City on Edge
The blast, occurring so close to one of India’s most iconic monuments, has heightened security concerns in the national capital. Red Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and its surroundings are usually under tight surveillance, particularly given their historical and political significance. The timing of the explosion—during peak evening traffic in one of Delhi’s busiest corridors—has left citizens shaken and raised pressing questions about security lapses.
The police are now analysing CCTV footage from nearby roads and establishments to trace the car’s movements and identify its occupants. Officials said that two to three people were believed to have been in the vehicle at the time of the explosion, but their identities remain unconfirmed.
As investigations continue, authorities are appealing to citizens not to spread rumors or unverified information. Meanwhile, hospitals across the city are on standby to treat the injured, several of whom remain in critical condition.
Conclusion
The Red Fort car blast has left Delhi in shock and mourning. As emergency responders comb through debris and forensic teams gather evidence, the big question remains unanswered: was this a tragic accident, or something far more sinister? For now, the government’s stance is clear—no angle is being dismissed.
As the nation waits for answers, the images of burning vehicles, shattered glass, and terrified citizens fleeing from one of Delhi’s most historic sites serve as a grim reminder of how fragile public safety can be in the heart of India’s capital.
This article draws inspiration from an Indian Express

Comments
Post a Comment